Traveller's Space is Someone Else's Place


Chiesa del Carmine in Sciacca... I am in a guided tour team and every place I see amazes me at that moment. I feel happy for I am in motion, taking pictures of monuments and their architectural details. At the very moment right behind me a group of people are in grief since it is a funeral of the person they loved. Last journey of a person, perhaps a grandfather, who might visited the same church many times in his lifetime with his wife, children and grandchildren... The deceased, the people who are attending the funeral with history and memories attached to the church are in the one that I'm also in at that moment for 15 minutes to have my detailings. 2 different experiences in the same geometry that are completely different: Their place is my space...

The Traveler's space may thus be the archetype of non-place. 

M. Augé "Non Places. An Intoduction to Supermodernity".

Comments

Popular Posts